Self-Employment Social Security Scheme
SCHEME UNDER SOCSO
The Self-employment social security scheme was introduced to provide protection to the self-employed. In the early stage, this scheme is compulsory for self-employed taxi, e-hailing and bus drivers under the Self-Employment Social Security Act 2017 (Act 789). This act came into effect from 1 June 2017.
This act has been implemented since June 2017 to provide social security protection to the self-employed under the Self-Employment Social Security Scheme (SEEIS) in Malaysia. SEEIS has been made mandatory to all self-employed taxi, e-hailing and bus drivers who work full-time or part-time.
Failure to register is an offence under the Act and will be liable to a fine not exceeding RM10,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years, or both.
The protection under the Self-Employment Social Security Scheme, whether on a monthly or annual basis, is based on the date and time of contribution paid and certified through the receipt of the contribution payment.
SELF-EMPLOYMENT SOCIAL SECURITY SCHEME
This Scheme provides protection to self-employed insured persons from employment injuries including occupational diseases and accidents during work-related activities.
“Self-employment injury” means personal injury to self-employed insured person caused by an accident or an occupational disease arising out of and in the course of his or her self-employment activity including while travelling for the purpose of his or her self-employment activity.
This Scheme also provides cash benefits to the self-employed and their beneficiaries besides providing medical care, physical rehabilitation and vocational training.
TAXI, E-HAILING AND BUS SERVICES
Types of taxi services
- All types of taxi services/ rented cars such as budget taxi, executive taxi, limousine, airport taxi and others.
Types of e-hailing services
E-hailing services (passenger transport services only).
Types of bus services
- “Bus” can be defined as a large motor vehicle carrying at least eight passengers (including drivers).
- Types of bus services include school bus, carter bus, express bus, airport bus, workers bus and others.
- Malaysian citizen/ permanent resident without age limit; and
- Having a valid driving licence; and
- Having a PSV Card or Taxi Driver’s Card/ Valid Authorisation Letter issued by LPKP (Sabah and Sarawak); or
- Registered with e-hailing services
- A valid driving licence; and
- A valid PSV Card / Taxi Driver’s Card or Valid Authorisation Letter issued by LPKP (Sabah and Sarawak); or
- Any documents / proof of registration with e-hailing services such as driver profiles
PAYMENT OF CONTRIBUTION
- Contribution can be paid on a monthly or yearly basis.
- Cash payment at any SOCSO’s Branches or online payment through internet banking at www.iperkeso.my
- For online payment procedures, please download the following guidelines on online payment:
SCHEDULE OF CONTRIBUTIONS
The contribution is based on options of selected insured monthly earning:
Selected Insured Monthly Earning
|Contribution Payment Per Month||Contribution Payment Per Year|
Benefits under the Scheme :
- Medical Benefit
- Temporary Disablement Benefit
- Permanent Disablement Benefit
- Constant-attendance Allowance
- Dependants’ Benefit
- Funeral Benefit
- Education Benefit
- Facilities for Physical, Vocational Rehabilitation and Return To Work Programs
For more information regarding benefits, please download the following leaflets